Celebrating a Milestone:
Gaia Learning Receives the ADHD Friendly School Award from the ADHD Foundation.
We are delighted to announce that Gaia Learning has become the first online school in the UK to receive the prestigious ADHD Friendly School Award. This accolade underscores our commitment to providing an inclusive and supportive environment for all learners, including those with ADHD.
At Gaia Learning, we firmly believe that every child deserves an educational journey tailored to their unique needs and strengths. With the ADHD Friendly School Award, we have pledged to uphold the six ADHD-friendly school commitments that aim to empower students with ADHD to thrive academically and personally.
The 6 ADHD Friendly School Pledges:
1) Training for Our Staff Team: We pledge to work closely with the ADHD Foundation and provide our staff team with comprehensive training to better understand and support learners with ADHD. This equips our educators with the tools and knowledge they need to create an inclusive learning environment for every student.
2) Access to Physical Activity and Exercise: We understand the importance of physical activity in promoting focus, well-being, and overall health. We pledge to offer regular opportunities for all learners with ADHD to engage in physical activities during the school day, fostering a balanced and active learning experience. Our lessons are capped at 30-minutes long, and our timetable includes ‘brainbreaks’ and ‘body doubling’ in between sessions.
3) Teaching Self-Calming Strategies: We believe in nurturing emotional well-being and self-regulation skills in our students. We pledge to provide opportunities for learners with ADHD to learn essential self-calming strategies, such as breathing exercises or mindfulness techniques.
4) Tactile Resources in Every Classroom: To accommodate diverse learning styles, we pledge to provide tactile resources in every lesson through use of cutting edge technology, ensuring a multi-sensory approach to education. With just a single click, students can access all their necessary learning tools, documents, and classes. And when we teach, our content is interest based and immersive, peaking and maintaining student interest.
5) Celebrating ADHD Achievements: We are committed to celebrating the achievements of individuals with ADHD and raising awareness about their unique strengths. We pledge to recognise and display the great work of our students with ADHD, and to hold termly assemblies that recognise and applaud the accomplishments of people thriving with ADHD.
6) Support for Parents and Carers: We understand the vital role parents and carers play in their child's educational journey. We pledge to provide information and support for parents and carers of children and young people with ADHD, fostering a collaborative and empowering partnership between home and school. This includes hosting events such as our ADHD coaching events and retreat, and providing support groups and ready-made content.
Receiving the ADHD Friendly School Award is an honour that reflects our dedication to creating an educational environment that embraces neurodiversity and ensures that every child feels seen, heard, and valued. We are excited to continue this journey of inclusivity and look forward to making a positive impact on the lives of our students and their families.
Co-Founder Kirstin set up Gaia Learning when mainstream school wasn't working for her neurodivergent son, and was herself diagnosed with ADHD in later life. On receiving this award she said "Understanding and embracing neurodiversity is key to nurturing the talents of every child. With the ADHD Friendly School Award, we reaffirm our commitment to providing a space where students can flourish, regardless of their unique learning styles."
Well done to everyone at Gaia Learning for your hard work in making this happen!